Search engine optimisation:
Search engine optimisation means make a web site search engine friendly, so search engines grab site and show to users when user search. For example I want to search for those sites which sale computers. I can search using words computers and putting my local area nameÂ in search box. Search engine optimisation is not an easy task. There are many tools available to perform this task. Our suggestion is target the search engine in which you want to get higher ranks and then optimise your site accordingly. Follow rules and regulations given by the search engine.
All search engines use different algorithm to crawl the web sites, So its not necessary that if a site is in top 10 in Yahoo that would be in top 10 of Google or MSN(live).
Can I perform SEO for my site?
Off course, if you feel that you have got related skills then go for it. When you are doing search engine optimisation read instructions carefully provided by search engine which is your target.
There are many institutes which offer SEO courses. You can contact to those institutes physically or you can get online course SEO Training Courses from Search Engine College
How To Rank Higher On Search Engines
Now you have created your website and set up advertising on your site and are capable of making money. But the problem now, is that your ranking on search engines is still poor, maybe so poor in fact that your website appears maybe in the 3rd or 4th page. This is very annoying but can be counteracted by a few simple processes. These tips on this page will help your search result ranking move up on the list.
First we need to know a little about how search engines work. Search engines have three main parts. These are the spider, the catalog and the software.
Firstly search engines work by automatically searching (spider/crawl) the internet pages. They can take time but will find your website over time. The spider will spider its way along and through every link on your website to other pages within the website. The spider will repeat this process again on average of once a month in order to check for changes.
These findings by the spider are then stored in the catalog book where all this data is stored. If your website has been updated but not spider-ed yet then the ‘old’ page is only available to the public who searched with a search engine.
The final part to know about search engines is the software. This is where the search engine filters every page in their catalogue to find matches to a particular search (i.e what is typed in on the search engine) and rank them in order of what it believes is most relevant.
Now we have covered the basics of search engines we can proceed to the esscential influencing factors.
The Influencing Factors
It is important to include a phrase of words heavily related to your site in your site. This is because when individuals use a search engine they generally search a specific phrase. For example if one of your web pages is about ‘how to rank higher on google’s then having that phrase in the page will help because if a searcher was to be interested in page ranking this is a likely phrase they would use as their search criteria.
When a search engine catalogues a web page it uses a technique reffered to as denstiy, maening how often a key word is used within the page. It is a good idea to have the keyword repeated or used often.
Name your pages:
A page that is un named (or a link called “untitled”) will be unappealing to a search engine so naming them with related names will help the ranking. This factor is similar to having many ‘key’ words used in the web page.
Link early and link often:
Search engines look at links (hyperlinks) both to, from and in your site. The more links you have to your site will significantly increase you page ranking. This is where using adsense and adwords is a good idea to advertise on other peoples related sites
Search Friendly Graphics:
A few parts to consider here are the use of flash. Search engines generally do not spider of catalogue flash and so if you are using flash menues, links and other flash related items they are no good for increasing the over all page ranking. This does not mean to take out all flash you have or any of it for that matter. However it would be a good idea for there to be text hyperlinks in addition to the flash menues as it will be found by search engines and there for be useful. Including an <alt> tag will help as this helps to include some more vital keywords.
A Well Structured Website:
Having a well structured and organised website tend to be pages that search engines ranks highest. This implys that it is a good idea to have each page containing one part of the website. Like our website for example. We generally have one page for each headding because it is user friendly and will help the over all ranking.
8 Useful SEO Techniques Every Webmaster Should Know
Every webmaster should have some basic understanding of these simple SEO techniques if they want to achieve Top Rankings for their site. The more you know about these Search Engine Optimization techniques; the better your web pages willÂ be in the different search engines, especially Google.
Optimizing your pages for the search engines should be your main priority because conquering and dominating your chosen keywords is often cited as one of the major determining factors in the success of your online site or business. You must have a rudimentary grasp of how SEO can work for you and your site.
These simple SEO Tips will help you understand the basics and help you reach your online goals.
1. Title Tag
The Title Tag is located at the top of your html page and it tells the search engines what your page is about. When you open your page in a browser these are the words at the very top of the screen. Despite its simplicity, the title tag is crucial to ‘on-page optimization’; it should include your main keywords and it should be 63 characters or less if you want your title to appear in full on Google.
Many SEO experts create web pages in a three-prong approach. They place the title in:
– the title tag – on the webpage itself – and in the URL for that page
Sometimes they will just pick the main keywords from the title and place them in the anchor url instead. For example: www.yourwebsite.com/keywords.html
2. Meta Description Tag
The Meta Tag contains the description for your web page. Your description will show up in all the search engines so you have to be careful to write precisely and objectively. It should be about 140 characters or around 20 words. Make sure to include your keywords but don’t spam – don’t repeat your keywords more than twice – using variations is helpful.
Keep in mind, successful webmasters make their descriptions stand out from the crowd and entice the surfer to click their link. It is also the first contact with your potential visitor or prospect so make a good first impression.
3. Anchor Tag or URL
The anchor tag is used to form links within websites or from site to site. This tag should have your title or the main keywords from your page title to be the most effective.
If you want to check Google for all web pages containing your keywords in the anchor tags.
Just type into Google Search: allinanchor:yourkeywords
4. Finding Backlinks
One of the keys to higher rankings is building quality links from relevant, related quality sites. The search engines, especially Google, count each link as a “vote” for your site or content. Many experts suggest you include your main keywords in the anchor text of these inbound links in order to rank high.
If you want to find the number of backlinks your site has.
Just type into Google Search: link:yourURL
and it will give you the number of backlinks you have.
Google doesn’t give you all your existing backlinks, so you can try Yahoo! to find a more exact number.
Just open Yahoo! and type in: linkdomain:yourURL
. Checking Indexed Pages
If is very important for you to know what content the search engines have indexed from your site. You can also check to see how your links are displayed and to see if any titles or descriptions are missing from your pages.
You can see how many of your pages are indexed in Google by using the site command.
Just type into Google Search: site:yourURL
Another way to look at your pages in Google is to type in “http://yoursite” and “www.yoursite” with the quotation marks to see the exact number of listings for each.
6. Checking Google Cache
You can also check to see the Google Cache of your site by using the cache command. You will also discover when it was last retrieved.
Just type into Google Search: cache:yourURL
7. Finding Associated Keywords
Keywords are the heart of the Internet, you must dominate the search engines for your chosen keywords if you are to succeed online. So make sure you have your main keywords in the Meta Keyword Tag on your page. Many experts suggest you place your page’s main keywords in the first and last 25 words on that page.
You must also be able to find and use variations of your keywords to completely conquer your targeted niche. To find what other keywords Google has associated with your main keywords, just use the tilde ~ command to find associated phrases in Google.
Just type into Google search: ~keywords
Variations will be highlighted in bold print.
8. Finding Titled Keywords
If you want to find competing sites that have your keywords in the title just use the allintitle command.
Just type into Google search: allintitle:yourkeywords
In summary, if used consistently, these basic SEO techniques should help improve your rankings and keep you in the picture with regards to your standings in the search engines. Your site’s stats or raw traffic logs will also confirm the rise or fall of your keyword rankings. You must have complete knowledge of both your site and your keywords in the search engines, especially Google. Since Google will deliver most of your quality traffic, you must optimize for it and be aware of what is happening to your site and keywords within Google. This is yet another example where knowledge equals success.
32 Most Important SEO Tips
Following these simple tips will definitely boost your traffic and search engine rankings for free.
1. Make sure your site is not under construction, incomplete, with little or no unique content.
2. When your site is ready, submit it to Google, Yahoo, MSN and ASK.com. Consider also submitting to other search engine but most of them are powered by these four leading search engines. Submit also your site to reputable high PR web directories, open directories, yellow pages and social bookmarking sites such as del.icio.us, furl, etc.
3. Submit your sitemap to Google, Yahoo, MSN and ASK.com (sitemap for search engines usually in XML format)
4. Offer sitemap to your site visitors for easy page navigation. (sitemap for visitors in HTML format)
5. Create unique and rich content sites. Avoid duplicate content. Do not create multiple pages, sub-domains, domains, mirror sites or sites with different domain names but same content.
6. Check your keywords and make sure they are relevant and actually are contained in your site. Avoid keywords stuffing.
7. Use text instead of images in your content, links and important subjects.
8. Make your TITLE and ALT tags descriptive, simple and keyword rich. Avoid irrelevant and repeated keywords.
9. Title tag should be 60-80 characters maximum length.
10. Meta tag description should be 160-180 characters including spaces. (about 25-30 words)
11. Meta Tag keywords must be 15-20 words maximum.
12. Optimize Pages with Headings (H1, H2, H3..) containing your site’s primary keywords.
13. Validate your CSS and HTML. Check for errors and broken links.
14. If your site contains dynamic pages(i.e., the URL contains a “?” character), make sure you use SEO friendly URLs. Search engines’ spiders having difficulty indexing dynamic pages.
15. Maximum links per page must be fewer than 100. Avoid the risk of being flagged as link farm by search engines.
16. Use Lynx as text browser to check your site. (http://lynx.isc.org/)
17. Allow search bots (good ones) to crawl your sites without session IDs or arguments that track their path through the site. Using these techniques may result in incomplete indexing of your site.
18. Check your web server/host if it supports the If-Modified-Since HTTP header. It tells search engines whether your content has changed since last crawled your site. It will save you bandwidth, resources and avoid server overload.
19. Use Robots.txt file to manage and control search engine spiders in indexing your site. You can allow and disallow spiders and choose directories you want to be crawled and indexed. But with bad bots or spam bots you need to modify your HTACCESS file to properly and effectively manage bots or spiders. Visit http://www.robotstxt.org/wc/faq.html to learn more about Robots.txt file.
20. Do not attempt to present different content to search engines than what you show to your site visitors.
21. Avoid dirty tricks and exploiting loop holes to improve search engines ranking.
22. Avoid links to bad neighborhood such as web spammers, link farms, phishing, hacker, crack, gambling, porn and scam sites. Linking to them will greatly affects your search engine rankings.
23. Do not attempt to join in link schemes, excessive reciprocal links or excessive link exchanging and link exchange web rings.
24. Do not use unauthorized programs or online tools to submit your site, check page rankings and other automated queries. Avoid the risk of being flagged as spam.
25. Do not use hidden text and links. Show to search engines what you show to your vistors. It will greatly affect your site’s reputation.
26. Do not attempt to create pages that contains phishing, scam, viruses, trojans, backdoors, spyware, adware and other malicious programs.
27. Make your site useful and informative.
28. Improve your link building. Link to high Page Ranking (PR) websites. Qualities of relevant links are far more important than quantity. Links will greatly improve your site’s visibility, popularity and rankings. Search engines consider links as votes to your site.
29. Check your page link structure. Every page should be reachable by a single static text link.
30. Be extra careful in purchasing SEO services. Some uses illegal and questionable ways to improve rankings.
31. Do not buy or sell links.
32. Do not create sites that contain purely affiliate links and no valuable content that are useful to the users.
I hope these tips will add more popularity and visibility to your site. Enjoy!